What defines a podcast?
“A digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically.”-Link
Podcasting in the Classroom
Podcasting is better because it allows for the freedom of the students voice. In worksheets or document it is typed which does not give a wide array of freedom as compared to a podcast where students can talk freely about whatever they want.
Podcasting as an inspiration
Podcasting helps students fulfill all of the ISTE Standards for Students. Being an empowered learner and an innovative designer means being creative and personalizing your learning path, podcasting lets one be creative and speak their mind about topics they want to talk about it are assigned to talk about. Being a good digital citizen also relates to podcasting because one can teach the ways of digital citizenship through podcasting. They can try to inspire other students to create and learn and other such things.students can become knowledge curators by teaching others through podcasting. Podcasting is a great way for information to be spread so teachings will spread like wildfire. Being a computational thinker through podcasting is easier than it sounds, one could solve problems and show students how to solve that specific problem and explain how one would get the answer that was gotten. Being a creator and communicator goes hand in hand with podcasting because creating a podcast and communicating with the audience is how one gets the message across that is meant to be received. Being a global collaborator allows you to collaborate with other podcasters and share ideas and collaborate together on projects. Podcasting helps a student fulfill the ISTE Standards for Students.
Here are a few apps to help you get started!
Few tips and helpful hints to remember if you want to get started on podcasting
- Be clear
- Research beforehand on topic
- Talk like you usually would
- Discover wide range of topics
These links will provide you with advice from professional podcasters!
Nothing better than learning from experts!
Link 1: Digital Trends on How to Make a Podcast
Link 2: buzzsprout on How to Make a Podcast
Link 3: theguardian on How to Make a Successful Podcast
Podcasts can be shared in many ways such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. These apps will allow the students to connect with their teachers and friends. Students can also use share via Google Classroom such as turning in assignments.
- To podcast you can use any pair of earbuds with a microphone on them. They all work very well and will get the job done. Big fancy headsets are completely unnecessary unless you want to spend a lot of money.
- As previously mentioned, any headphones will do, but noise canceling headphones will be very helpful so background noise does not interfere.
- When podcasting on the iPad one would only need the standard headphones (earbuds, over the ear headphones, etc.). Anything more would be unnecessary and a waste of money unless you want very high end equipment.
Cheap and Great Earbuds!